The Wellhead Building was constructed in 1905 of artificial stone blocks weighing 55 pounds each. The building originally housed a hotel and tavern or “sample room” and restaurant. Many businesses have occupied the building over the years such as a used furniture store, sanitary grocery, main place, Russell Auto Parts, US Post Office, New Mexico Army National Guard and the Bank of Artesia among others. The Wellhead Restaurant and Brew pub opened for business the spring of 2000; thus bringing the building’s original use as a “sample room” full circle. This building was entered into the New Mexico Register of Cultural Properties in 1987 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.